My 5 Things for 2018

When I quoted my dad yesterday, it started a healthy dialogue and reflection. 

To reflect on my aim in life, Here is Top 5 from my journal, verbatim.

I want to spend quality time with my family 

Listen to my kids and make sure they feel validated. Many days, my kids are  rushed from the moment they wake up to the time they hit the bed.  I want to talk, really talk to them about things they are interested in – not just their grades & why they should be on top of their game. 

I also want to spend time with superman – besides when we are eating, sleeping and driving the kids around.  We need to sit and read next to eachother, go for longer strolls and don’t forget to gaze in each other’s eyes.  Raising good kids, providing for them and taking care of retirement is good.  But it should not be the only conversations we have.

Be a friend to family

I want be a good daughter to my parents, nice sister & wonderful,no make it supportive aunt.  I want to be peace among the storm.

Be Nonjudgemental

Practice nonjudgement.  Baby steps. One conversation at a time.  I want to practice nonjudgement in my interactions with family, friends and strangers alike.

Get my Teaching Licence 

Do I really want to teach?  Or is it just a thought?  Time is awasting.  This year, I want to get my GA Online Teaching Certificate as well as WI licence.

I want to learn to swim.

On December 31, 2018 (OK Y is close then, lets make it Dec. 26, ’18) I want to be able to swim 25 laps unassisted.

What are top 5 items on your list for this year?  Long term?

Life without an aim is like a ship without sails. Both will be pushed around whicheve way the wind blows; neither will reach their destination in time. -Kishorbhai Trivedi

I am writing this post for March Slice of Life Challenge hosted by Two Writing Teachers.  Come and join us.  #SOL18

6 thoughts on “My 5 Things for 2018

1. I love your goals (still thinking about mine). I think my favorite, however, is being nonjudgemental. That’s a tough one, but one we should all work on.

2. The quote at the end is wonderful! And the line about being non-judgmental- “One conversation at a time.” This is a wonderful way to quantify such a goal. Beautiful, thanks for sharing this.

3. What a wonderful list of goals that are both personal and professional… the not-judging is something I am always working on too, and it helps so much with family and even more with school (the whole system sometimes puts teachers in the position of judging… argh!). And I am glad to be following your blog now; I am curious what the online teaching certificate involves, and if there is anything I can do to help or if you ever want to brainstorm, let me know. I’ve been teaching online for FOREVER and one of the best things about it is all the different ways you can experiment and try new things in online spaces. 🙂

4. Hello every one,

Thanks for the visit and kind words.

Lanny, the quote is wonderful as it is a snippet of conversation between my 15 year self and my wise, kind father. These were his words which rings true after decades.

Re: Nonjudgement. It is a concious choice and a long hard battle. Last year, I got snippy and sharp with kids. Choosing to be nonjudgemental is a course correction for me. I still pass judgement and a small voice reminds me my goal. The kids and Superman has made game of catching me and ribbing me when I fail to practice it. So, someday, hopefully soon, I will practice not just preach the words.

Laura, I have Georgia Teaching certificate. The online certificate is an add-on so I can teach GA students online. Thanks for being so supportive. I definitely reach out to you.

Deb, your post today is thought provoking. Someday, I will share my views on this walkout-walk up debate.

Looking forward to many more conversations.