Slice of Life: Crude language

Roasting

If the words bring marshmallow on the sticks, peanuts on the wok or food on grill to your mind, you are my kind of people.   Come and join me.

On the other hand, there are other kind of roasting.  e.g., Comedy Central has set to roast Bruce Wills in Summer.   Yesterday, while on drive back home from work,  I was listening on the radio about the roasting someone and how it is no holds bar.  That made me  think:

Where are we headed as a society?  

Why these people think use of cuss words in regular communication is acceptable? 

Why are we laughing when someone is saying R-rated jokes demeaning someone’s loved ones?

How are we expecting to raise kind and thoughtful children when we are allowing crude language in our homes?  

Why?

What are we doing to discourage this kind of talk permeating our lives? 

The use of curse word does not mean open mindness.  Use of curse word means the speaker has limited vocabulary and/ or have lost control over thinking process and good behavior. -Purviben K. Trivedi-Ziemba

What are your thoughts?  I would love to hear from you.  If you leave your blog url in the comment,  we can visit you as well.

Let us keep the conversation going.

Books I recently read:

Slice of Life

Each Tuesday reflective writers are invited to share their slice of life at Two Writing Teachers.  Come and join us.  If you would like to read more posts like this, search by category Slice of Life or hashtag #SOL18.

8 thoughts on “Slice of Life: Crude language

1. I’m so tired of the coarse language that is everywhere in today’s media. I think, though, that a lot of people expect it and find that it validates their own language. That just keeps the cycle going. Thank you for your thoughtful post.

2. Tim,

Thanks for the visit and feedback.

Yes, the media is over flooded, even seemingly nice people use ugly words. Sometimes ago I was watching Facebook Live where Tom Hanks used A@# &*() which prompted me to click off the FB Live. Bruce Wills used same crude language for his comment on the roast.

My stand is either do not support these comments or use them as teachable moments. In our conversations, we refrain from using crude language even when we are describing someone we abhor.

Small steps to recapture conversations.

Best wishes.

Purviben

3. Ouch, you got me! Truth be told, tomorrow, as those horrible curse words leave my lips, my mind will be thinking about my limited vocabulary. Who knows, this post may have just changed me for the better. Time will tell. Thank you Purviben.

• Georgia,

I am guilty of using curse words at times as well and correct myself as necessary or apologize sheepishly. We all use them from time to time and that it part of life. We just need to be mindful of our audience and self.

I have issue with crude language sprinkled in conversation. e.g., the movie Kingsmen: Secret Service. To see excellent actors such as Michel Cain, Samuel Jackson and Collin Firth (as well as the young cast members) using FBombs like nothing make me shake my head. Using clean language would have elevated this movie, cut down on run time and made it more family friendly.

Same thing with magazine / television interviews. Filters are tossed aside.

Thanks for listening. Come again.

4. I find myself sensitive to language in certain settings. For instance, I always listen with a set of “child’s ears” during the sermon at church and wonder sometimes at how it sounds to a child who might not understand the whole topic but hears a tone.

• Amelia,

Thanks for visiting and feedback.

listening with “Child’s ears” what a wonderful way to listen.

Best wishes.

Purviben

5. Language is a slippery thing, and I think that we use different words in different situations. What is appropriate here, might not be appropriate there. I am hesitant to make social judgments on someone with respect to language. Course language does not indicate an uneducated mind.
    But I do hear what you are saying.
    Unfortunately, we have a president who believes that the nature of rhetoric is to bully with language, and I wonder how these years will shape how public discourse takes place.
    Kevin

6. Kevin,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, language is fluid, depending on connotation its meaning changes AND use of choice words/ bad language does not always mean an uneducated mind; it may be choice, moment of frustration or life style. My intention is not to pass judgement on anyone or their choice of language, especially when I have used choice words at times. My frustration comes when I am subjected to listen or read crude language when using them is unnecessary.

We, as a society, have a huge issue with bullying. I believe the way we interact with one another, the way we role model and which celebrities we spend our $$ on does shape our future.